Sunday, June 15, 2008

Admit One: A Journey into Film by Emmett James


To me my love and books and movies were always separate. There weren't many movies about books nor books about movies. When I heard about Emmett James's book, Admit One: A Journey into Film I knew the gap had been bridged. I knew I had to read it.

Emmett's memoir starts with his early memories of visiting the cinema with his family. He doesn't remember much of the movie (he falls asleep) but remembers the affect it has on his brother. Each chapter is framed by a different movie and gives a little synopsis. The first half of his book explores Emmett's love of movies as a viewer and the second half explores it as a participant. He moves to LA and starts to work. I loved how it hits movies from two sides. I could relate to the viewer side but had always wanted to hear about the participants side. I wish this jump between the two different parts had been bridged with just a little more detail (he seems to go from a young teenager to a 20-something like that) but maybe that's just me.

I was also pleasantly surprised to hear he went to school for graphic design for a spell. The chapter about retouching was so funny to me.

All in all, I love books, movies, and memoirs so to me this was just a great idea for a book. Peeking into something I don't believe i ever had, has been a great joy.


Thank you to Lisa Roe, Online Book Publicist for the review copy.

3.5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:13 AM

    Can you please post your review on Amazon.com I think it will really help people be drawn to it. I read it myself due to your review and LOVED it. Great review!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah- I'm glad you loved it! I have posted my review on amazon :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...