Thursday, July 10, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

What would you do if, all of a sudden, your favorite source of books was unavailable?

Whether it’s a local book shop, your town library, or an internet shop … what would you do if, suddenly, they were out of business? Devastatingly, and with no warning? Where would you go for books instead? What would you do? If it was a local business you would try to help out the owners? Would you just calmly start buying from some other store? Visit the library in the next town instead? Would it be devastating? Or just a blip in your reading habit?

I think I would be ok. Bummed for awhile but ok in the long run. The reason for that is because I spread out my buying between a lot of different places: Borders, Half Price Books, Amazon, random other stores. Now if two of these were gone, then we might have a problem. I think I would be sad if Borders was gone (or eaten up by B&N) I'm really fond of their weekly coupons and Borders Rewards program and that's the nearest bookstore to me. I have walked there.

I'd be sad if our library was gone because it's very nice. I really doubt that it would ever happen in this lifetime because it's the main branch and people have their weddings in the building the library is in for goodness sake!

What would really make me upset is if I was unable to get a discounted price from any store. I feel better about my buying habit when I know I'm getting a discount, even if it's just a few dollars. If I was forced to pay full price I would probably buy much less. And I would be very sad.

I think that if my favorite store was an independent store and it went out of business that I'd be pretty upset. Since it would be a one of a kind store. I guess maybe it's good that's not the case. I'd probably talk about it for years and years.

3 comments:

  1. I love Borders. I'd be bummed if something happened to them. I love their Rewards program but mostly I think they have such a great selection. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:22 PM

    It's a way of life here. Two major book stores closed up here. We only have one left and it's so small I can't go in there without bumping into a person or shelf or rack. I hate it!

    I shop online now, signed up for a couple of book clubs and am a major supporter of the library. There's been no choice. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie- Compared to the B&N in my town Borders has a much better selection. Recently though I've been surprised how many books they just don't carry.

    J Kaye- Online is just so much better sometimes isn't it! But it's also really nice to be able to browse books in person. I'm the person that will go into a store and look at a book and then go home and order it online!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...