Sunday, August 17, 2008

Aberrations by Penelope Przekop

Aberrations is the story of 21 year old narcoleptic Angel and her search for mother. Angel has never known her mother, only her father. Her father tells her that her mother died during child birth but that is all. Angel struggles to learn more from him but he will not budge. All that Angel has to connect her to her mother is a series of cloud photographs her mother took. Rounding out Angel's life are Carla, her father's girlfriend, Mac, her married doctor boyfriend, and her friends Kimmy and Tim, and Tim's cousin Scarlett.

Angel struggles to live a somewhat normal life while dealing with her narcolepsy which makes her dependant on others much more than she would like. She lives in a world where it's hard to tell how awake she actually is at times and what is real and what is not. Through a series of events Angel becomes determined to know the truth about her mother and with the help of her friends and family she finds it. Before her search for the truth about her mother Angel also explores the possibilities of finding the mother feeling elsewhere and is rather unsuccessful. I really really liked the ending, it just made me beam!

I loved this book! It's a mix of mystery, family struggles, and love. I loved the characters so much in this book, especially Angel, Mac, and Carla. Przekop's use of southern slang made me read the book in such a way that I could hear the characters voices in my head, I really liked that. It was really gratifying watching Angel succeed in her quest and also grow up in the process. This is a beautiful, touching story and I cannot give it nearly as much praise as it deserves!

Also wouldn't you agree, a beautiful cover for a beautiful book!

4/5 Stars
Review copy provided by author

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:34 PM

    It sounds like a book I'd cry over. Was it sad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. J. Kaye- I guess it was a little bit sad. But not in a depressing way. I found it more hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got that book on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:18 PM

    I love this cover too! It's on my TBR pile, you sold me to move it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bermudaonion- I really enjoyed it! I hope you do too :)

    Tracy- Goooood! I really liked it. Definitely a beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this too :) And the cover is definitely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathleen- Yeah, it was just a really good book wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to let you know that I mentioned your review in my review of this book. (Click here to see my review.) Unfortunately, I didn't like the book as much as everyone else seems to have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. avisannschild- Thanks again for doing that. I definitely think it's nice to see a variety of views on a book, helps you get a full picture.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...