Monday, September 15, 2008

The Shiniest Jewel by Marian Henley

The Shiniest Jewel is the true story of Marian Henley's journey through adoption, love, and loss, told in the graphic novel format.

Marian has a serious boyfriend, that she isn't ready to marry. She is about to turn 50 and decides she wants more than anything a child so she turns to adoption. We go along on her journey through disappointment and also happiness. At the same time she's trying to adopt a child her father is slowly dying. She fears she will be out of the country during her father's last days. This is a beautiful story of life and death and everything in between.

What a great story that is only complimented by the graphic novel format. Seeing the author's work right there in front of your eyes instead of just reading about it is wonderful. Henley has a very simple illustration style, basically line drawings yet the emotion is there. A person has to be very brave to tell such a personal story such as this.

Like the Heartbreak Diet, The Shiniest Jewel would be a great place to start for someone hesitant about graphic novels. It's a very approachable story!

4/5 Stars
ARC provided by publisher

Have you ever read a graphic novel? If so, what's your favorite?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:37 AM

    "The Shiniest Jewel is the true story of Marian Henley's journey through adoption, love, and loss, told in the graphic novel format."

    What an awesome concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:45 PM

    This sounds wonderful. I positively love graphic novels, but most of what I read are collections of comics - so, in that case my favourites would be the Firefly/Serenity ones, the Astonishing X-men ones, and what I've read of Frank Miller's Sin City ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J. Kaye- Yes, I really enjoyed this one! It's a beautiful blend of subject matters.

    Court- I love graphic novels and comics too! I stick more with indie stuff but I rather like Sin City too! I would really like to get to Watchmen before the movie comes out! I have a friend that raves about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:23 PM

    The Shiniest Jewel is the only graphic novel I've read and I loved it. I raved over it so much that my husband read it and he loved it. We both felt the story wouldn't have been as good without the drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bermudaonion- I hope you read more of them! I love graphic novels. I agree, that's what's special about most graphic novels the images enhance the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Alea - I read/reviewed *The Shiniest Jewel* a month or so ago; I absolutely loved it! This was my first (and only, so far) graphic novel/memoir.

    I lent it to a friend who had adopted overseas and she said that the adoption storyline so closely reflected what she and her husband were thinking (fears) every step of the way, but were reluctant to talk about to others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn- You should definitely try more graphic novels! It's a great genre that covers a variety of storylines in a variety of ways. I love them! And that's great that your friend could identify with this. I hope it helped them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...