Sunday, January 25, 2009

GoldenGirl by Micol Ostow

From Amazon.com:

Paige, Spencer, and Madison have it all: the looks, the connections, the money, the boys. As the daughters of three of the most prestigious families on Philadelphia's Main Line (read: old money, and lots of it) and the ruling juniors at Bradford Prep, nothing can stand in their way....except, perhaps, their own dark secrets. When an old frenemy from Paige's hidden past shows up at Bradford and plays nice--too nice--Paige is desperate to smother the threat. How far will she go to silence the truth?

This was a gossipy, scandalous, fashionably good time! I really liked reading the thoughts of Spencer via her blog posts, especially the little love triangle that she has gotten herself into. Because most of the blog posts are from her point of view (in this book) I felt I got to know her the best of all the characters. It was also really nice hearing from some of the other characters on the school blog, The Bradford Blog, I hope to get to know them just as well in future books.

What initially attracted me to this book was how it's working on multiple platforms, we have the book, which is essentially a collection of blog posts and a few emails and then probably a good dozen or so websites, from myspace profiles, to twitter pages, a Bradford Prep official website, and websites for other locations in the book. I loved the idea of being able to poke around online and get to know the characters better.

I think most of the fashion and label references got lost on me since I don't know much about fashion, so I wouldn't have minded a few less, but I'm sure there are people out there that love them! Also, I don't know if this is showing my age or what but some of the acronyms I had to look up. A little glossary of terms in the back of the book would have been very helpful to someone like me!

I'm definitely looking forward to where the second book, Fashionista picks up! There is somewhat of a mystery brewing and I really want to know the truth!

GoldenGirl is released on January 27th.

Check out the Bradford Novels website here!

3.5/5 Stars
ARC received from publisher

Have you ever read a book that uses a lot of blog posts? I'd love to hear about it!

12 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for this one to arrive. ::happy dance:: Are you going to be at the chat tomorrow night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I have this one for review and I love Micol's writing so I'll have to pick up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure this is up my alley, but I'm happy to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the interactive-ness of it! Sounds like a neat book! I don't think I've ever read a book that uses blog posts but it does sound like an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm gonna be reading this soon hopefully. It sounds like such a great book. Loved your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:57 PM

    I kind of want to read this but I'm not big on gossipy-superficial novels so I can't see plunking down hard-earned money for them unless I'm fairly sure they'll be worth it. That being said, this does look fantastically intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Secret Blog of Raisin Rodriguez was pretty funny and used some blog mixed in with regular narrative. It is fun to see the different avenues that new technology is opening up for book formats.

    http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Blog-Raisin-Rodriguez/dp/1595140719/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232946589&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs V, I'm so glad you mention RAISIN--it's one of my favorite books and author Judy Goldschmidt is going to be a guest blogger at our Bradford blog bash this month! Probably this Thursday or next: bradfordnovels.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharonanne- Did you get your copy yet?

    Bookworm- Can't wait to hear what you think!

    Steph- Yeah! I did!

    Ladytink_534- Me too! Such a great concept!

    BookChic- Thank you! Hope you like it too!

    Jordyn- Yeah I haven't read much gossipy fashiony type stuff but I've always wanted to try it! And the interactive concept really got me going too!

    Mrs V.- I'm definitely looking that one up, thanks!

    Micol Ostow- Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I added the link to the ARC Challenge post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I was rereading your review, Alea, and started thinking again about your suggestion of including a slang glossary. Maybe we can incorporate something like that into the Bradford Novels website. Gonna work on that when I get a few spare minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth- I would love that! It would definitely help a lot! Even pictures or links to some of the designer clothes, how awesome/interactive would that be!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...