Sunday, April 19, 2009

B as in Beauty by Alberto Ferreras

From Advance Reader Copy:

Beauty Maria Zavala-you can call her B-hates her size and worse, hates that others judge her for it. But everything changes when her new tax accountant turns out to be a modern-day fair godmother. Armed with the same old curves but a whole new attitude, B is ready to show the world what Beauty is all about.

I really enjoyed B as in Beauty, from B's weight struggles to work politics to trying to shine next to her beautiful friend, B has an authentic and relatable life. And then everything changes, she meets a woman that takes her on a journey to self acceptance, confidence and pride.

While the premise sounds like your normal enjoyable chick-lit title, he takes in a direction I definitely wasn't expecting but definitely enjoyed. I won't give anything away here, it's better to let the book reveal itself to you. But I'll say this, through seeing how others react to B she realizes what she really has and learns to be proud of it.

I really liked the way the author used B's voice. The way she told her stories and how she brought up things from her past to explain the present situations, it was really clever and made for a really enjoyable book. And the cast of characters this author created, I loved them all! From B's evil boss, to her tax accountant, to the shy yet famous fashion photographer, they all had something to offer and I thought they were all rather dimensional. It was a rich story.

All in all a great book full of humor, self acceptance, and a bit of romance!

B as in Beauty is released on April 24th.

4/5 Stars
ARC received from publisher

Check out the book trailer below!

7 comments:

  1. I won a copy of this so I'm glad to see it's good. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:47 PM

    haven't heard of this one...but i find the male author writing from a woman's point of view cool. i'd be interested to read this. adding it to the always-growing pile! thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't realize it was a male author until I saw Beth's comment. How strange for chick-lit to be written by a man. Interesting, I may have to check this one out just for that! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what's super funny? My last name is similar to Beauty's and I have a couple of credit cards that have the wrong spelling so it's Zavala (instead of Zabala which is mine) People like to add letters to my name all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I was rather interested to see what this book would be like being from a male author, and I mean really it seemed no different that if a woman had written it!

    Mishel- Haha! I know what that's like for sure, with both my first and last name, some of them are just like HUH!?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...