Sunday, May 17, 2009

Peace, Love and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle

Amazon.com:

Growing up in a world of wealth and pastel-tinted entitlement, fifteen-year-old Carly has always relied on the constancy—and authenticity—of her sister, Anna. But when fourteen-year-old Anna turns plastic-perfect-pretty over the course of a single summer, everything starts to change. And there are boys involved, complicating things as boys always do. With warmth, insight, and an unparalleled gift for finding humor even in stormy situations, beloved author Lauren Myracle dives into the tumultuous waters of sisterhood and shows that even very different sisters can learn to help each other stay afloat.

Let me just start off by saying this is my first book length story by Lauren Myracle so it's hard for me to say if this is similar or different to her other books. Ok so the book... I really liked the idea of a sister story and this book told a pretty good one. Me and my sister are like 6 years apart so we really don't fight about the same things that sisters closer in age fight about, like the sisters in this book. Like a lot of sisters these two are opposites. 14 year old Anna is more into makeup, and clothes, and popularity while 15 year old Carly is sort of going through a hippie phase, basically total opposites.

Carly is just coming back from a summer at camp when she realizes that her sister's body has matured over the summer, A LOT. I've never seen or heard anyone obsess so much over a 14 year old girl's body in all my life. It was a bit too much, and really I hope it was an exaggeration because I would feel just horrible for a young girl that got called out like Anna did, by EVERYONE about her body. It was just too much.

Anyway, I really liked the love triangle in the book. Carly is interested in Cole because well he's cute and they also share a few things in common but he ends up dating another girl. And while Carly is obsessing over Cole her best guy friend Roger doesn't really hide the fact that he would go out with Carly in the blink of an eye if she would have him. I also liked the role that religion played in the book, I liked Carly's take on it. You'll have to read the book to find out what I mean.

I found the big fiasco that leads up to the ending pretty stressful. Boy did I feel bad for Carly and also Anna, it was just too much all at the same time. A pretty emotional situation between these two sisters and I was really glad when it ended and I think they both came out of it ok.

All in all an interesting book and I'm curious to read other books by Myracle.

Peace, Love and Baby Ducks was released on May 14th.

3.5/5 Stars

9 comments:

  1. You have to admit it has a great title and cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I was thinking I might read this one. Not too sure now. I've never really been a fan of Myracle. How to Be Bad was the only thing I enjoyed. I'll probably still read this one someday though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna check this out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read any of Myracle's books, but i think I'll read this one just because of the cover :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Myracle!! :) I'm reading this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read this one!! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello PCJ, How would you like to review a blog novel. Ok so you won't have the turn of page and the sense of nearing the back cover, but you can dip in when ever you are with a screen and who knows, might be a whole new popular culture thing! I started it just to keep writing while my serious writing is going through the edit. This is a whole new discipline, possibly not a very enjoyable one, but hey, it's different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I'm thinking about reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love the cover! I'm not sure this one is for me, but I liked reading what you thought of it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...